Monday, May 18, 2009

Promoting real good grammar

I just found something cool called the Society for the Promotion of Good Grammar — boy, I'm happy it's promotion and not prevention.

There's a blog, with examples of poor grammar or bad spelling, and plenty of pictures. There's a photo of a sign about a new Angus cheeseburger. Unfortunately, someone left out the "g" in Angus. You get the drift.


SPOGG lists plenty of other mistakes, such as:


"Things are defiantly getting worse in the economy." Defiantly or definitely?


"I must of missed the point." Should it be of or have?


"I want to be a writter." Or is that writer?


"I plan to be an alimentary schoolteacher." You need some med school for that.


There's a sign that says "Paying less taxes is the same as making more money." No, it's less tax and fewer taxes.


There's the photo of a Yield sign, but it's spelled Yeild.


And there's a photo of a sign that says OLD FASHION DELI. They must wear old clothes while selling food.


Don't worry: That's just the tip of the iceberg. There's more to entice would-be Jay Lenos.


It worries me, though; I hope I don't wind up on that web site.


By the way, the web site is http://spogg.org/. Enter with a sense of humor.



Contact: I can be reached at tgilli52@gmail.com or nc3022@yahoo.com. Also, my Twitter handle is EDITORatWORK.

Entries from The Dog Blog
Blog entries from The Auto Racing Journal
(a book of great stories about the Intimidator)
(the book of great NASCAR stories)

More blog entries by Tom Gillispie

Anecdotes by Tom Gillispie

No comments:

Post a Comment