Wednesday, June 19, 2013

My freelance network on Yahoo!

A few years ago, I had a fairly large (500+) freelance network on Yahoo called Freelance Writers and Editors. One of the network members was C. Hope Clark of Funds for Writers.

I surprised Hope by sending her a one-on-one email asking how I could improve how I was handling the network. Why was she surprised? She thought that I was professional and doing a good job.


That was nice, but I was still looking for ways to improve. She noted that I was just putting "Tom" at the end of messages to the network, and I should put something in a professional signature telling networkers that it was my network. Maybe I should promote myself as well.


So I came up with something like this after messages:


Tom
--
Tom Gillispie

Network owner and moderator
From Rural Hall, N.C., the Garden Spot of the World
author of Angel in Black: Remembering Dale Earnhardt Sr.
    and co-author of Then Junior Said to Jeff... (both available on Amazon)

-------------------------------------------------------
"Some men see things as they are and say 'Why?'
I dream things that never were and say 'Why not'?"
— George Bernard Shaw


I no longer have that network; I have a newer (and smaller) one called, surprise!, Freelance Writers and Editors. I use a similar signature for network messages, although the quote changes now and then.



Thanks, Hope, for the helpful suggestion.



And feel free to visit our network, everyone.



NOTE: Many of the links on my network came from Hope's weekly newsletter.
Contact: You can reach me at tgilli52@gmail.com or nc3022@yahoo.com.

(a book of great stories about the Intimidator)
(the book of great NASCAR stories)

More blog entries by Tom Gillispie

Anecdotes by Tom Gillispie

No comments:

Post a Comment