Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Sponge or knucklehead?

It was 30+ years ago, and I had been at my first daily newspaper for nearly a month. I apologized to my boss, the sports editor, for being a slow learner.

He surprised me, saying that I didn't need to worry; he said that I was like a sponge, soaking up knowledge.

That was nice, but I still felt like a knucklehead. I had to learn everything, particularly my co-workers, the area, the people I regularly interviewed and the computer system.

But a sponge couldn't have done it faster.


CONTACT: Reach me at tgilli52@gmail.com or nc3022@yahoo.com.


Anecdotes by Tom Gillispie


Entries from The Dog Blog

Blog entries from The Auto Racing Journal
(a book of great stories about the Intimidator)
(the book of great NASCAR stories)

No comments:

Post a Comment