Thursday, January 2, 2014

What I charge (it's a deal) and what I edit

When writers contact me, they usually ask two questions: How much do you charge? And do you edit my kind of writing?

First, the charge. If it's long (novel, non-fiction book, academic dissertation), I'm charging a half cent a word (normally, I charge a full cent a word). Everything else, I charge case by case. I prefer not to charge by the hour (although I do occasionally, if the client insists). I'd rather do a great job than worry about time.

If I do charge by the hour, it's $15 an hour for proofreading and $25 an hour for editing.

Second, do I edit your kind of writing? Almost certainly. I've edited a doctoral dissertation. I've turned British books into something for a U.S. market. I've edited non-fiction and fiction books about spirituality, non-fiction self-help books written for the British, and an ebook about hand and foot care.

I've edited and proofread novels, non-fiction books and ebooks. I've edited for a Canadian student, a lawyer from Virginia, a publishing company in Massachusetts, a restaurateur in North Carolina, a bookseller from Virginia, and businessmen from Australia, and I've re-written web sites.

And that's a tip of the iceberg.

If you have questions, just ask. I suspect I can help.

CONTACT: I can be reached at tgilli52@gmail.comAlso, my Twitter handle is EDITORatWORK.

More EDITOR@WORK blog entries

Entries from The Dog Blog

Blog entries from The Auto Racing Journal
(a book of great stories about the Intimidator)
(the book of great NASCAR stories)

More blog entries by Tom Gillispie

Anecdotes by Tom Gillispie

No comments:

Post a Comment