Monday, June 18, 2018

A new story at the top of the page

Years ago, I was the slot guy a few days a week at the local newspaper. That meant I decided what went on each page, and I handed out assignments to the other copy editors.

I also laid out the sports front and the jump page, plus other pages as necessary.

I don't know why I decided to do this, but I was always concerned that a big story would come up at deadline that had to make the paper. So I made room for it. I made sure the top story and bottom story were the same size, and the bottom story was one that could come out of there if need be.

If a bigger story came along, I'd take out the bottom story and move the top story to the bottom with a new headline. Then I put the big story at the top, replacing the moved story.

I wouldn't be able to jump either story, but that was OK. At least the big story could get on the front.

I don't know if anyone realized I was doing this, but no one ever complained.

EMAIL: tgilli52@gmail.com TWITTER: EDITORatWORK

(a book of great stories about the Intimidator)
(the book of great NASCAR stories)

More blog entries by Tom Gillispie

Anecdotes by Tom Gillispie

No comments:

Post a Comment