Friday, January 7, 2022

JUMP THE DARNED THING

Years ago, my boss and I were disagreeing over jumping a column to an inside page.

The newspaper's style was to run a column short enough so we could run an information box under it. My column was long enough that a box wouldn't fit so my boss was intent on cutting it.

I knew he couldn't cut it -- I'd written it that way -- but I didn't say anything.

He was confident, saying he could cut Shakespeare (I know I couldn't). So he read through it, looked at me hard, then read through it again. After much sighing and waving of hands, he turned and said, "Jump it." There may have been a bad word in there somewhere.

It was a triumph of sorts, but it's not a good idea to show up the boss. I never did it again.

P.S.: Once, I was looking for an information box, and I found a short story on Charles Barkley. In the box, I wrote that Barkley had a quadruple double in a game -- 28 points, 15 rebounds, 10 assists and 10 turnovers. The last item would have been on the negative side of the ledger.

EMAIL: tgilli52@gmail.com  TWITTER: EDITORatWORK

ENTRIES FROM THE DOG BLOG

BLOG ENTRIES FROM THE AUTO RACING JOURNAL
(a book of great stories about the Intimidator)
(the book of great NASCAR stories)


No comments:

Post a Comment