Tuesday, February 8, 2022

BENNETT BRINGS PASSION

FOUND ONLINE: Bennett Brings Passion to New Role

This December 2021 headline came in a University of Virginia newsletter, and it stunned me. Why would Tony Bennett, UVA's head basketball coach, take another role for the Wahoos?

He wouldn't. This is LaRon Bennett, an assistant coach for the track team.

Technically, there's nothing wrong with including Bennett's name in a headline. But if you know anything about UVA's athletic programs, it's confusing and almost unnerving.

The headline writer could have said New coach brings passion to track team.

ON THE OTHER HAND: Silence is Golden for Cavaliers at Cameron

This headline came via newsletter today, and it's about UVA quieting Duke's crowd with a last-second 3-point shot. I was happy when I saw it; I realized that Virginia had beaten Duke.

It's perfect. I know that Tony Bennett loved it, and I suspect that LaRon Bennett did, too.

EMAIL: tgilli52@gmail.com  TWITTER: EDITORatWORK
ENTRIES FROM THE DOG BLOG

BLOG ENTRIES FROM THE AUTO RACING JOURNAL
(a book of great stories about the Intimidator)
(the book of great NASCAR stories)

No comments:

Post a Comment