Monday, May 18, 2020

I RECKON YOU'RE RIGHT, RANDY

FOUND IN A HORATIO ALGER BOOK:  "I reckon you're right, Randy, and I'll give the fishing a fair trial to-day," answered Jack Bartlett.

I'd move the last part of the sentence.

"I reckon you're right, Randy," Jack Bartlett answered, "and I'll give the fishing a fair trial to-day."

I just think it reads better this way.


ELSEWHERE: And in California, which is now in the second of Gov. Gavin Newsom's four reopening phases, the governor said that while he was empathetic to residents' concerns, he wanted to move forward safely.
I wonder if they meant empathetic or sympathetic.

EMAIL: tgilli52@gmail.com TWITTER: EDITORatWORK

(a book of great stories about the Intimidator)
(the book of great NASCAR stories)

More blog entries by Tom Gillispie

Anecdotes by Tom Gillispie

No comments:

Post a Comment