Wednesday, July 7, 2021

A NEAR-GREAT WRITER

Years ago, I was working with a near-great newspaper columnist who never went back to double-check his facts or spellings.

He'd just cranked out a column about golf with four unusual names, and I quickly fixed the spelling of two of them (I can tell you that Mark Calcavecchia's name was among them.)

When I got to work the next day, I learned that this writer had misspelled the other two names as well. I got called out for those two names, and they didn't care that I'd fixed the first two names.

If we'd had the internet back then, copy editing would have been SO much easier. And this near-great writer would have been a great writer if he had just proofread his peerless prose.

EMAIL: tgilli52@gmail.com or nc3022@yahoo.com  TWITTER: EDITORatWORK
 
Entries from The Dog Blog
Blog entries from The Auto Racing Journal
(a book of great stories about the Intimidator)
(the book of great NASCAR stories)

More blog entries by Tom Gillispie

Anecdotes by Tom Gillispie

No comments:

Post a Comment