Monday, April 5, 2010

J-jobs

I WROTE A BLOG yesterday saying that you could get journalism jobs without having a J-school degree, and it's true. But it's not easy.

Newspapers are shedding jobs and employees like mad. The local paper here has dropped about half of its newsroom, plus a portion of classified, sales and other departments. The parent company, Media General, plans to combine the copy desks of the three big newspapers (Tampa, Richmond and Winston-Salem), but I suspect a half of the copy editors will lose their jobs. Sadly, my wife is a copy editor at W-S, so we'll see.

If I'd known 32 years ago what I know today, I'd have gone into another line of work. I'd still be a writer and editor; I'd just be doing something else. Like computers.

I FOUND THIS non-sentence online. Morgantown, West Virginia, home of the University of West Virginia Mountaineers.

This isn't a typo, just a mistake; it's West Virginia University. Head east, and you'll find the University of Virginia Cavaliers. My boss, a WVU alum, told me that 39 years ago.


Contact: Reach me at tgilli52@gmail.com or nc3022@yahoo.com.

(a book of great stories about the Intimidator)
(the book of great NASCAR stories)

More blog entries by Tom Gillispie

Anecdotes by Tom Gillispie

No comments:

Post a Comment