Monday, August 5, 2019

A strange-sounding word

I was just watching a video on YouTube, and the narrator used the word denouement, roughly pronounced day-new-maw.

But he pronounced it the way it looks: dee-noo-meant.

I know I've mispronounced words when I've read them and not heard them. I had trouble with the German word jawohl (yes) when I read it in a Sgt. Fury comic book ages ago. And hyperbole came out hyper-bowl when I was in middle school.

When I was in high school long ago, one of my teachers pronounced bourgeoisie burr-GET-see.

So I'm going to cut the narrator some slack. No one knows everything; I certainly don't.

I was just listening to a dog video, and the mechanical voice mentioned the bichon frise. "Her" voice said bis-con friz. The real pronunciation sounds French: bee-zhon free-zay.

EMAIL: tgilli52@gmail.com  TWITTER: EDITORatWORK


Anecdotes by Tom Gillispie
• Good Samaritan
Entries from The Dog Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment