Saturday, February 20, 2016

Editor who needs experience (not me, of course)

NEW EDITOR: Lately, I've been exchanging emails with a fireman who wants to be an editor. If he could get part-time or freelance work with a newspaper, magazine or web site, he'd do it.

You have to realize that this guy has studied to be an editor, but he has no professional experience. I suggested he contact some firefighting magazines, and he said he had. They'd offered him writing work.

"Then write for them," I responded. It's hard enough to be an editor when you have nearly 37 years experience; if you want to work for a magazine, and they need a writer, then write for them.

I wish I could.

Hey, there are thousands (maybe millions) of be and would-be freelance writers and editors out there. If you have a niche, grab it with both hands.

(NOTE: If you need him, contact me, and I'll hook you up.)

EMAIL: tgilli52@gmail.com  TWITTER: EDITORatWORK


Anecdotes by Tom Gillispie


Entries from The Dog Blog

Blog entries from The Auto Racing Journal
(a book of great stories about the Intimidator)
(the book of great NASCAR stories)

No comments:

Post a Comment