Monday, August 5, 2024

WORD MAN: PROBITY

I was just watching an old TV show and an English lady used the word probity. I had an idea what it meant, but I wanted to be sure. So I looked it up.

Meaning: the quality of having strong moral principles; honesty and decency.

That's close to my imagined meaning.

In another episode of that TV show, the word invidious was invoked. So I looked it up.

Meanings: (1) likely to arouse or incur resentment or anger in others; (2) (of a comparison or distinction) unfairly discriminating; unjust; (3) of an unpleasant or objectionable nature.

EMAIL: tgilli52@gmail.com  TWITTER: EDITORatWORK

ENTRIES FROM THE DOG BLOG

BLOG ENTRIES FROM THE AUTO RACING JOURNAL
(a book of great stories about the Intimidator)
(the book of great NASCAR stories)

No comments:

Post a Comment