Sunday, August 18, 2013

Frustration with a great writer

I love the writing of Louis L'Amour, but sometimes it frustrates me. L'Amour would write something like "Hondo Lane was a man who was strong and who knew himself well."

Or he'd write something like "He was the one known as Emiliano."

I'd rather he just say that Hondo Lane was strong and knew himself well. And the other guy was Emiliano, not the one known as Emiliano.

If I edited L'Amour's books, I might cut out 200 to 400 words from each book. But I'd leave the good stuff. That's why I read his books.


Contact: You can reach me at tgilli52@gmail.com or nc3022@yahoo.com.

(a book of great stories about the Intimidator)
(the book of great NASCAR stories)

More blog entries by Tom Gillispie

Anecdotes by Tom Gillispie

No comments:

Post a Comment