Monday, December 16, 2013

One side says 31.9

When I was in school, my teachers always said that the placement of the period was everything in math. And they were right.

The local convenience has regular gasoline listed as 3.19 ($3.19) on one side of the sign out front. The other side says 31.9. That sign has been that way for more than a week, and, as far as I know, no one has complained or mentioned it.

Unfortunately, the gas costs $3.19 a gallon at the pump. I know. I wish, however, that the other side of the sign, with 31.9 cents on it, was right.

Update: The price has gone up to $3.25 on one side of the side, and it's 32.9 on the other side.

Contact: I can be reached at tgilli52@gmail.com or nc3022@yahoo.com. Also, my Twitter handle is EDITORatWORK.


Anecdotes by Tom Gillispie


Entries from The Dog Blog

Blog entries from The Auto Racing Journal
(a book of great stories about the Intimidator)
(the book of great NASCAR stories)

3 comments:

  1. "Unfortunately, the gas costs $3.19 a gallon at the pump. I know. I wish, however, that the other side of the sign was right."

    Tom, I saw this before I was fully awake and it took me quite some time to figure out what you were saying!
    Gas costs 3.19 but you wish it cost 31.9?? (You're maybe an anti internal combustion engine campaigner who wants to stop us all driving?)
    But then I woke up and realised that you probably meant you wished the other side of the sign was written correctly.
    Oops, does the editor need editing?

    Reading when not fully awake can be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rob, I believe the blog post is correct. The sign says $3.19 on one side and 31.9 cents on the other. As I said, I wish the 31.9 was correct.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not incorrect, just capable of being understood in two ways: The sign is correct if the price displayed is the correct one. So either, "I wish the correct price was 31.9," or "I wish the price was written as 3.19.)
    But, of course, you have to be a bit sleepy and inattentive to consider that first interpretation - as some readers sometimes are. :)

    ReplyDelete