Friday, July 17, 2009

Death and dismemberment

I've known the word expiration for nearly 50 years, but I just found expiry. Where had it been all of my life? An expiry is simply an expiration, especially of a contract or an agreement; it's death.

Did I say that I love words? Even deadly ones.

I just found megadeaths. Just as megatons defines the power of an atomic bomb, megadeaths defines the potential loss of human life from those bombs.

Let's take martyrdom — a death that is imposed because of the person's adherence to a religious faith or cause. Joan of Arc was a martyr.

I've long thought of termination in terms of death (the Terminator movies) or losing a job. I just found that, in linguistics, it's the end of a word, as a suffix, inflectional ending, or final morpheme. I know, you're wondering what a morpheme is; according to an online dictionary, it's the smallest linguistic unit that has semantic meaning. Well, that's clear.

Actually, here's an example of morphemes: The word "unbreakable" has three morphemes: "un-", a bound morpheme; "break", a free morpheme; and "-able", a bound morpheme. "un-" is also a prefix, "-able" is a suffix. Both "un-" and "-able" are affixes.

Learn something new everyday.



Entries from The Dog Blog
Blog entries from The Auto Racing Journal
(a book of great stories about the Intimidator)
(the book of great NASCAR stories)

More blog entries by Tom Gillispie

Anecdotes by Tom Gillispie

No comments:

Post a Comment