Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Commenting on misused words

COMMENT: Here's a comment on the misused words blog entry --

Ross Brown said...

I dislike it when people use the word "utilize" to mean "use." I can utilize a butter knife to tighten a screw, but I'd rather use a screwdriver.

When I hear someone say "utilize" to mean "use," it makes me think that they're utilizing the Englih language to appear educated. They aren't.

Sorry for the rant. Cheers!
May 12, 2010 10:06 AM

Ross, I don't know that I'd characterize "utilize" as misused, but I agree that "use" is better in that instance. To me, "further" is misused when you mean "farther." Actually, I forgot compliment and complement. "Those two running backs compliment each other well," Smith said. "You're not only a handsome man, you block well, too," Jones added.

TODAY'S QUESTION: Why do we sing "take me out to the ballgame" when we're already there?


Contact: Reach me at tgilli52@gmail.com or nc3022@yahoo.com.

(a book of great stories about the Intimidator)
(the book of great NASCAR stories)

More blog entries by Tom Gillispie

Anecdotes by Tom Gillispie

No comments:

Post a Comment