Thursday, July 4, 2013

REMEMBERING THE FOURTH

In 1982, I was working as the sports editor at a weekly newspaper in South Carolina, and I had to work on the Fourth of July. I assume I was covering American Legion baseball and recreational sports that day; I don't remember specifically.

But I do remember the day, especially the railroad tracks in downtown Easley, S.C., and the recreation fields with all the kids. In fact, every Fourth of July since, I think of that day. For everyone else, it was sultry and slow. For me, it was busy. And I loved it.


But I did watch fireworks that evening. They were at a baseball game (smile).


EMAIL: tgilli52@gmail.com or nc3022@yahoo.com

(a book of great stories about the Intimidator)
(the book of great NASCAR stories)

More blog entries by Tom Gillispie

Anecdotes by Tom Gillispie

No comments:

Post a Comment