Saturday, August 30, 2014

I checked the speedometer

FROM A NOVEL: It was only two miles between villages, and I checked the speedometer when we left Cold Brook.

I love this author's work, but I have to disagree here. The narrator didn't check the speedometer; he checked the odometer, for distance, not speed.


FROM ANOTHER NOVEL: Just short of Connecticut I turned right on Route 123, glancing at my speedometer. When I had gone a mile and a half, I started looking for Iron Mine Road, and in another two-tenths there it was.

It must be an epidemic, and this is another of my favorite authors. Again, he looked at the odometer, not the speedometer.

I'm making a point; if you can, be accurate.


LINKS: On my web siteI have links to some of my stories online.

EMAIL: tgilli52@gmail.com  TWITTER: EDITORatWORK.


Anecdotes by Tom Gillispie


Entries from The Dog Blog

Blog entries from The Auto Racing Journal
(a book of great stories about the Intimidator)
(the book of great NASCAR stories)

No comments:

Post a Comment