Saturday, February 5, 2011

The eyes have it

Here's a comment from a member of my Freelance Writers and Editors network on Yahoo.

Jacqueline Seewald said...

Hi, Tom, You're the second writer to mention this to me recently. I've already checked the ARC on my next mystery novel coming out in May and found three small errors. Wonder if I'd done better reading backwards as you suggest. The other writer was also fortunate in having someone else who could do it for her. Two sets of eyes are always better as you observe. My novel went through an editor and copyeditor and I reread each time as well, but there were still small errors not picked up until I saw the actual print copy.
Thanks, Jacqueline, for the comment. In my last book (non-fiction), I found eight typos in the galleys and was dismayed. My editor went through the galleys from his end and found four of them. I doubt the book was perfect after our editing (I had edited the book a dozen times before I sent it to him), but it was better.

It's always easier to find errors or typos when the book comes out. They almost jump out at you.


Contact: I can be reached at tgilli52@gmail.com or nc3022@yahoo.com. Also, my Twitter handle is EDITORatWORK.

(a book of great stories about the Intimidator)
(the book of great NASCAR stories)

More blog entries by Tom Gillispie

Anecdotes by Tom Gillispie

No comments:

Post a Comment