Saturday, April 16, 2016

He waved what?

I was reading a book by my favorite novelist recently, and he had his protagonist turn in the front seat of his car, look back at a man and wave his hand at him. That's fine, but else would he wave at the guy? His hankie? His butt?

Why couldn't he just say that the guy turned to look at the man and waved?

It reminds me of another writer -- not one of my favorite novelists -- who once said that a man shook his head, indicating that he agreed. Shaking your head means no; nodding means yes. There's no other way around it. You can't shake your head yes or nod no.

My worst fear as a writer is that I'll do something bonehead, and it'll get through editing.

EMAIL: tgilli52@gmail.com  EMAIL: EDITORatWORK.


Entries from The Dog Blog

Blog entries from The Auto Racing Journal
(a book of great stories about the Intimidator)
(the book of great NASCAR stories)

More blog entries by Tom Gillispie

Anecdotes by Tom Gillispie

No comments:

Post a Comment