Sunday, October 4, 2009

Egress your way out of here

Move along: On Friday, I covered a high-school football game, and the announcer (obviously also a teacher) proudly kept using the word egress. He was using it to mean going from one place to another. I had heard of it, but I had to look it up to be sure of the meaning.
egress n.

1. The act of coming or going out; emergence.
2. The right to leave or go out: denied the refugees egress.
3. A path or opening for going out; an exit.
4. Astronomy. The emergence of a celestial body from eclipse or occultation.

intr.v., e·gressed, e·gress·ing, e·gress·es.

To go out; emerge.
Contact: I can be reached at tgilli52@gmail.com or nc3022@yahoo.com. Also, my Twitter handle is EDITORatWORK.


Entries from The Dog Blog
Blog entries from The Auto Racing Journal
(a book of great stories about the Intimidator)
(the book of great NASCAR stories)

More blog entries by Tom Gillispie

Anecdotes by Tom Gillispie

No comments:

Post a Comment