Monday, October 26, 2009

Be done in a jiffy

Short time: According to something I just read, a 'jiffy' is an actual unit of time for 1/100th of a second. Not as short as a nanosecond (one billionth of a second), though. I just love learning new stuff.

Word play:
Abstemious and facetious are the only words in the English language that have all five vowels in the order of AEIOU. Try it. I know facetious -- I use it constantly -- but I had to look up abstemious. Turns out that abstemious comes from abstention or abstinence. It means sparing or moderate in eating and drinking; temperate in diet.


Error alert! I was just watching TV, and the local news channel was boosting a story called Mustang makeover, with a cowboy riding a horse. But they had Mustand Makeover on the screen. Later, the TV station wrote Farwell instead of Farewell for a story on a funeral. Oops!

Media maven: If you're into media news, you might check out Romenesko.


Contact: Reach me at tgilli52@gmail.com or nc3022@yahoo.com.

(a book of great stories about the Intimidator)
(the book of great NASCAR stories)

More blog entries by Tom Gillispie

Anecdotes by Tom Gillispie

No comments:

Post a Comment