Monday, March 19, 2012

Another way to say it

Found online: I had one smart football official tell me Sunday Manning's going to San Francisco, and another tell me he's going to Tennessee and a third tell me: "His brain tells him San Francisco. His heart tells him Denver.''

I really like this writer, but I wouldn't have written it this way. The writer didn't have someone tell him something; the someone told him something. "I had..." is a figure of speech.

So I'd change it this way.

One smart football official told me Sunday that Manning's going to San Francisco, and another told me he's going to Tennessee, and a third said: "His brain tells him San Francisco. His heart tells him Denver.''


Contact: I can be reached at tgilli52@gmail.com or nc3022@yahoo.com. Also, my Twitter handle is EDITORatWORK.

(a book of great stories about the Intimidator)
(the book of great NASCAR stories)

More blog entries by Tom Gillispie

Anecdotes by Tom Gillispie

No comments:

Post a Comment