Wednesday, August 10, 2016

The other names were wrong, too

Years ago, I was working with one of the best newspaper writers I've ever seen. He wrote quickly and clearly, and people loved his stuff.

His lone weakness, I thought, was that he didn't back-read his stuff enough.

One night, I was in charge of putting out the sports section and he wrote a column about golf. There were four names in the column, and this was pre-Internet. Without a golf media guide, it was hard to spellcheck names. In fact, the not-so-great computers of that era didn't even have spellcheck. (At least we HAD computers.)

I immediately noticed that two of the names were spelled wrong and fixed them. The next day, I never got credit for fixing the two names. I just got hollered at over the other two names being misspelled.

The moral of the story? There was no way to get my co-worker to back-read his stories and fix mistakes (such as misspellings). So I made a list in the computer of sports names, and I checked and double-checked every name that came through my hands.

I didn't want that to happen again.

Note: If you're wondering, it wasn't a really long list; it might have been maybe a dozen names, total, in all sports. When spellcheck came along, I didn't need the list; I just added the correct spellings to my spellcheck.

Note: The Internet came along two or three years after the above story. Sigh.

EMAIL: tgilli52@gmail.com  TWITTER: EDITORatWORK.






Entries from The Dog Blog









Blog entries from The Auto Racing Journal


(a book of great stories about the Intimidator)


(the book of great NASCAR stories)




More blog entries by Tom Gillispie






No comments:

Post a Comment