Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Copy editing resources

I often search the Internet for writers' resources, and that led me today to search for copy editing resources. Veteran Googlers will understand this. I searched for copy editing resources and got 22 million responses. Then I searched for "copy editing" resources, making sure to put the double quote marks in the right place, and I got only 590,000 pages.

The first was found at the American Press Association site, and it listed resources at several sites.

Through API, I found The Slot; CopyDesk.org, the home site for the American Copy Editors Society.

There was Towson State's Copy Editing Resources.

I found some of the same sites on the Google Directory of Copy Editing.

I came across A Capital Idea, a blog by Dallas Morning News copy editor Nicole Stockdale. Nicole's blogs range from very short to very long.

I found the John Brenner Editing Test on the Kansas University School of Journalism site. Beware; it'll make even an old copy editor work.

There's a page on How to Edit Your Own Writing.

I found the Midsummer Institute for Midcareer Copy Editors. The site even has something from someone I know, Andy Bechtel, a J-School professor at the University of North Carolina.

I came across the E-resources for Copy Editors on the New York University site.

Finally, I came across Wikipedia's page on Copy Editing.

It's amazing what one can learn about copy editing.


Contact: I can be reached at tgilli52@gmail.com or nc3022@yahoo.com. Also, my Twitter handle is EDITORatWORK.

Entries from The Dog Blog
Blog entries from The Auto Racing Journal
(a book of great stories about the Intimidator)
(the book of great NASCAR stories)

More blog entries by Tom Gillispie

Anecdotes by Tom Gillispie

No comments:

Post a Comment