Friday, June 19, 2009

You can fix it

NEEDS EDITING: "This will only prolong the argument, it may aggravate it." Use the semi colon to separate two complete sentences that are connected: "This will only prolong the argument; it may aggravate it."

People often get 'infer' and 'imply' backwards. The word 'imply' refers to what is said; ‘infer’ comes from what is said. If I say that someone is a jerk, that's my implication. I'm implying it. You would be inferring what I say.

What is the difference between very accurate records and accurate records? Nothing.

I just read that two NFL running backs are a great compliment to each other. Yes, you look very nice in those pants, and your hair is lovely, too.

People often say "I could care less" when they mean "I couldn't care less." If the former is true, they care.

Earning a roster spot is the next challenge in Washington Redskins undrafted rookie defensive tackle Antonio Dixon's life. Whoa. That's called stacking modifiers. How about: Defensive tackle Antonio Dixon, an undrafted rookie, is battling to make the Washington Redskins' roster. Gets rid of the stack.


CONTACT: I can be reached at tgilli52@gmail.com or nc3022@yahoo.com. Also, my Twitter handle is EDITORatWORK.

Entries from The Dog Blog

Blog entries from The Auto Racing Journal
(a book of great stories about the Intimidator)
(the book of great NASCAR stories)

More blog entries by Tom Gillispie

Anecdotes by Tom Gillispie

No comments:

Post a Comment