Sunday, February 14, 2010

Far offbase

I ASSUME THIS WAS written for a weekly newspaper, given the date given, but it was amazing. Check it out.

The headline reads SPARTANS STUN CARDS Memorial jumps out to 22-0 lead and prevails 22-14. It's a simple high school football game story about a team losing on Sept. 11, 2009, and the writer made the mistake of comparing a 22-14 loss to 9/11.

I was stunned when I read it, and most other people have the same reaction. I suspect the writer has heard about this a few thousand times since then, and I hope he learns from it.

You simply can't compare the mundane -- thousands of teams lose every Friday night in the fall -- to the tragic.


Contact: Reach me at tgilli52@gmail.com or nc3022@yahoo.com.

(a book of great stories about the Intimidator)
(the book of great NASCAR stories)

More blog entries by Tom Gillispie

Anecdotes by Tom Gillispie

No comments:

Post a Comment