Sunday, June 13, 2010

Best comments

I DON"T GET A LOT of comments, so I decided to run some of the best of them today. I'll probably run some more in the near future.


ON the blog entry about headlines:

KarenEman said...
Tom. Thanks for sharing. It is tempting some times to write tacky headlines. I often write them in my mind and don't dare type them, in case they mistakenly made it into print! After reading your post, I reviewed a few past issues of the "North Oaks News." Headlines I've written and run include: "Forging into the past" over a photo of a blacksmith "West improves East" -- an Eagle Scout with the last name of West who planted gardens at the City's East Rec Center "Canoe storage racks Board" -- homeowners' association board trying to decide if they needed more canoe racks "Size matters" -- story about the need to use larger letters for readability of signs on roadside bulletin boards Never heard any reaction from the public, but they were enjoyed in the press room! Karen


jason said...
My best ever was for a review of a restaurant/strip club. There was also a subhed, but the main hed was "The naked lunch"

ON the blog entry about the newspaper lede (spelled lead in the real world):

Heather Awad said...
I'm finding my interests are in article writing. Of course, no formal experience or education, but enjoy its non-fictional premise, and it tells a story. Good pointers about the lede. Thanks!
ON getting into journalism without a J-school degree (it's very possible, but this isn't a great time to do it; newspapers particularly are laying off employees at alarming rates):
Heather Awad said...
Hmmm... If only I could learn on the job. Now, there's a thought! Finishing an AS in criminal justice right now but wanted to go back and start a journalism degree. I looked at the classes I'd need, the time it would take going part-time, and being a single mother at 40, it would take way too long! At least I know you can get into the world of journalism without a degree in journalism. Seems to good to be true though, lol...
ON the blog entry about misused words (I explained that alright is just incorrect):
Ross Brown said...
I dislike it when people use the word "utilize" to mean "use." I can utilize a butter knife to tighten a screw, but I'd rather use a screwdriver. When I hear someone say "utilize" to mean "use," it makes me think that they're utilizing the Englih language to appear educated. They aren't. Sorry for the rant. Cheers!

A man called Valance said...
Thanks Tom, but I wish I knew when it was all right to say alright. What's the difference?
ON the blog entry with a headline that used squash when quash was correct (I assume this person is a dog lover):
JP - The Mistress of Corgi Manor said...
Sounds like a good item to submit for the back page of the Columbia Journalism Review!
ON the blog entry about the relationship between editors and writers:
Olly said...
What a great post! Even though I'm only just starting out in my career (3 years so far) I have felt, or have thought about, many of the points you raised. I often read this blog, and I always feel better for having done so. Sitting here in China as the only foreigner at the paper I work for, it can be lonely. But your words often strike a chord. Thanks!
ON my blog entry on acronyms:
Ross Brown said...
When you use an acronym, you must know your audience if you aren't going to explain what it means. But even then, if there is any possibility of misunderstanding, the acronym must always be spelled out in its first occurence. If you use NASA and aren't willing to expand it, you'd better be writing about space.

A man called Valance said...
I agree with Ross. He said what I was going to say, only he said it better.
Contact: Reach me at tgilli52@gmail.com or nc3022@yahoo.com.


(a book of great stories about the Intimidator)
(the book of great NASCAR stories)

More blog entries by Tom Gillispie

Anecdotes by Tom Gillispie

No comments:

Post a Comment