Saturday, May 14, 2011

Overstated headline?

I just found a headline that might be a little overstated.
 
Rough Start Dooms No. 1 'Hoos in Series Opener
 
It's not the worst headline I've seen, and I've seen a few dozen like it over the years. But doom is not the kind of verb you need in a baseball headline. Instead, you could use this:
 
No. 1 Hoos Start Slowly, Fall 6-2 in Series Opener
 
Normally, you don't need scores in a headline, but I had a hard time finding the score in this story. The headline can help. And the headlines are roughly the same length.
 
Does it sound like I'm nitpicking headlines again? Maybe I am. Still, headline writers need to think of alternatives.
 
I'd save "doom" for true doom and gloom, not a sporting event.


EMAIL: tgilli52@gmail.com  TWITTER: EDITORatWORK

(a book of great stories about the Intimidator)
(the book of great NASCAR stories)

More blog entries by Tom Gillispie

Anecdotes by Tom Gillispie

No comments:

Post a Comment