Saturday, May 7, 2011

Advice for journalists

For years, I covered sporting events, usually auto racing, although you'd see me covering football, basketball, baseball, golf and even bodybuilding. I wrote features and game stories, and it was a battle for me. If I hurried, my writing was a mess. If I had time to edit, it could shine.

Which means that I am a typical professional writer. Sometimes I'd be 30 or 45 minutes ahead of time, but, usually, I'm fighting the clock and the editor in my head "looking over my shoulder."


I just start writing; I don't have time for writer's block. I need a lead, of course. I'll put a so-called Associated Press lead (Joe Schmoe scored 24 points, including the last five, as So-And-So beat...). I'll often find a better lead in the middle of my story, so I'll move it to the top, and work the old lead into the story.


I always write by the number of words. If a story needs to be 500 words, I write 550. Then I tighten it to 480 and write some more. Then I cut it to 500 again. I'm always adding more information and finding ways to tighten and improve. If I have time, great. If not, well, I'll do my best.


Two things: Be on time, and get your facts right. After that, everything else will fall into place.



Contact: I can be reached at tgilli52@gmail.com or nc3022@yahoo.com. Also, my Twitter handle is EDITORatWORK.

(a book of great stories about the Intimidator)
(the book of great NASCAR stories)

More blog entries by Tom Gillispie

Anecdotes by Tom Gillispie

No comments:

Post a Comment