Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Start the season

I HAVE A PROBLEM. In a recent newspaper article, I said that a team started the season 5-0 (or another record). The editor here says you can start the season 1-0, 0-1 or 0-0-1, but you can't start 5-0 or 7-2 or whatever.

Do you say that a team was 7-2 in its first nine games before losing three of its next four games? I guess you have to say it won its first five games of the season or seven of its first nine.


EMAIL: tgilli52@gmail.com  TWITTER: EDITOR@WORK

(a book of great stories about the Intimidator)
(the book of great NASCAR stories)

More blog entries by Tom Gillispie

Anecdotes by Tom Gillispie

2 comments:

  1. Can't start the season 5-0? Sounds a bit dodgy to me. It would be correct, of course, if the start of the season could only be defined as the opening game. But if you can say a team got their season off to a great start with five wins in succession then you can also say they started the season 5-0.
    Who am I though? I was just a mediocre cyclist whose season would often grind to a halt just as the other guys were geting started. theirs

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you, Rob. Can't get the editor to agree, though.

    ReplyDelete