Saturday, September 22, 2012

Handling criticism as a writer

I often have to remind writers that criticism isn't personal. It's all about improving the story and making it better for the reader.

I, too, have to live with criticism, and it bothers me, too. I've been a newspaper writer and editor for more than 30 years, and I expect to be perfect. When my editor sends an email with a minor (or major) bit of criticism, it hurts my ego.

Sometimes I even think of quitting, but that's ridiculous. Today, I reminded myself that he's only trying to make my stories better, and I appreciate it. And yesterday he reminded me that I do a fine job despite his criticism.

And, sometimes, I even suggest edits to his edits.


Remember: No one's perfect. You need an editor.



Contact: I can be reached at tgilli52@gmail.com or nc3022@yahoo.com. Also, my Twitter handle is EDITORatWORK.

(a book of great stories about the Intimidator)
(the book of great NASCAR stories)

More blog entries by Tom Gillispie

Anecdotes by Tom Gillispie

No comments:

Post a Comment