Thursday, March 25, 2010

Bite of the Century

WHEN I POSTED ON HEADLINES recently, I forgot the best headline I ever saw. In boxing, they always talk about the fight of the century. They must have had 40 fights of the century in the 20th century, and at least one of them involved Mike Tyson and Evander Holyfield.

Tyson was getting frustrated, and he bit Holyfield's ear! A few minutes went by, and Holyfield reacted again. Amazingly, Tyson had bitten his ear again! The fight was soon called, and we were all stunned.


From the back of the Charleston (S.C.) Post and Courier sports department, the always-quiet Rusty Boggs spoke up. "I have the headline," he said.


"Bite of the Century."


Right on. You go, Rusty.


P.S.: Sadly, Rusty died some time ago. I still think of him fondly.

Contact: Reach me at tgilli52@gmail.com or nc3022@yahoo.com.

(a book of great stories about the Intimidator)
(the book of great NASCAR stories)

More blog entries by Tom Gillispie

Anecdotes by Tom Gillispie

No comments:

Post a Comment