Monday, March 22, 2010

Confusing sentence

I WAS JUST READING this sentence and was confused for a second.
Larranaga said that he watched Northern Iowa play in a made-for-television Bracket Buster game against Old Dominion this year and was blown away
When I first read it, I thought that Northern Iowa lost big in its game to ODU. Then I realized that Northern Iowa impressed Larranaga in its game with the Monarchs.

The writer could have said "... against Old Dominion this year, and he was blown away." Or the writer could have gone this way: 
Larranaga said he was impressed when he watched Northern Iowa play this year in a made-for-television Bracket Buster game against Old Dominion.
It only took me a second or two to figure it out, but the clarification adds a lot for the reader. Anytime I can help the reader, I will.


Contact: Reach me at tgilli52@gmail.com or nc3022@yahoo.com.

(a book of great stories about the Intimidator)
(the book of great NASCAR stories)

More blog entries by Tom Gillispie

Anecdotes by Tom Gillispie

No comments:

Post a Comment