Monday, March 8, 2010

Cause and affect

EFFECT AND AFFECT: I was reading one of my old columns the other day and found a typo; I had used affect when effect would be correct. I was stunned, but it happens.

Correct: What effect did the new rule have on you?

Correct: How did the new rule affect you?

I would not say that the rules committee is trying to effect change, even though it's technically correct. I'm a plain-spoken kinda guy; I'd say they're making changes.

GRAMMAR SOCIETY: You might check out the Society for the Promotion of Good Grammar. It's nicely done. 

WORD OF THE DAY: Today's word is one that I've seen often enough but have never used in a story or in conversation. For some reason, this word makes me think of the movie "Body Heat."
languor Pronunciation: \ˈlaŋ-gər also -ər\
1. Mental or physical weariness or fatigue,
2. Listless indolence, especially the indolence of one who is satiated by a life of luxury or pleasure.
3. A heaviness or oppressive stillness of the air.

Contact: Reach me at tgilli52@gmail.com or nc3022@yahoo.com.

(a book of great stories about the Intimidator)
(the book of great NASCAR stories)

More blog entries by Tom Gillispie

Anecdotes by Tom Gillispie

No comments:

Post a Comment