Wednesday, September 22, 2010

The Enterprise computer

YEARS AGO, I WAS WORKING at the local newspaper in Charleston, S.C., and a reader called for information. That wasn't unusual, but this time I couldn't help him. I didn't know the information he wanted, and I didn't know where to look.

He asked if I could look for the information in the newspaper's computer system. I laughed and said, "This computer is meant to put out the newspaper. This isn't the Starship Enterprise, with all of the knowledge of the known universe in the computer." He laughed, thanked me and hung up.

It's funny to think that the Internet came along four or five years later. Within a few years, we DID have all of the knowledge of the known universe in our computers.


Contact: Reach me at tgilli52@gmail.com or nc3022@yahoo.com.

(a book of great stories about the Intimidator)
(the book of great NASCAR stories)

More blog entries by Tom Gillispie

Anecdotes by Tom Gillispie

No comments:

Post a Comment