Friday, September 3, 2010

More acronyms

I LOVE ACRONYMS, at least ones I know, like NCAA, NASCAR and NASA. I don't even mind JPL (Jet Propulsion Laboratory) or CPR. But sometimes acronyms get to be too much.

But today I came up with a story that's full of acronyms. There's BYU (Brigham Young University), WCC (West Coast Conference), MWC (Mountain West Conference) and WAC (Western Athletic Conference). They even threw in BYU-TV and an NCAA or two. The problem is that I never heard of the WCC, and they threw in the WAC without first writing it out.

So I came away a little confused. It turns out that the WCC exists. In fact, its web site has a nice story about BYU joining the fold.

Still, all of the acronyms are getting to me. Two or three or fine. Six or eight are way, way too many.

At least they didn't mention USC, SMU, LSU, UCLA or MIT. But let's keep them on the QT (quiet).

BY THE WAY, if you're into acronyms, you might check out Acronym Finder, The Free Dictionary's page on acronyms, The Internet Acronym Server, or the site on the most commonly used acronyms.

Gotta go. TTFN (ta ta for now).


Contact: Reach me at tgilli52@gmail.com or nc3022@yahoo.com.

(a book of great stories about the Intimidator)
(the book of great NASCAR stories)

More blog entries by Tom Gillispie

Anecdotes by Tom Gillispie

No comments:

Post a Comment