Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Another fine mess...

In a word: My wife just used the word frowsy, an unfamiliar word, so I looked it up.
frow·zy also frow·sy (frouz)
adj. frow·zi·er also frow·si·er, frow·zi·est also frow·si·est
1. Unkempt; slovenly: frowzy clothes; a frowzy professor.
2. Having an unpleasant smell; musty: a frowzy pantry.
Adj. 1. frowsy - negligent of neatness especially in dress and person; habitually dirty and unkempt; "filled the door with her frowzy bulk"; "frowzy white hair"; "slovenly appearance"
That means my dog is a mess. Sorry, Lady.

Head games: The N.Y. Times had an interesting headline on a Maureen Dowd column -- "Less Spocky, More Rocky." I assume they were referring to the movie "Rocky" and the TV show "Star Trek." No way of knowing for sure. ... Dowd used the word ensorcelled, so I had to look that up, too. Comes from the word sorcery, means bewitch or enchant. I always liked Elizabeth Montgomery. Nice nose.


Unkindest cuts: Here's a blog called Editors Suffer From Recession Cuts. It hits home with me. I lost two jobs within eight months in May of 2008 and January of 2009.


Needs editing: Got this from the Atlanta Journal-Constitution — Atlanta's five-game losing skid has likely diminished the team's postseason chances. You can't have a winning skid, so Atlanta's five-game skid... should work just fine. ... Ten-times NBA All Star guard Allen Iverson, currently a free agent, said on Wednesday he was moving to the Memphis Grizzlies. Iverson is a 10-time all-star, not 10-times.



Contact: I can be reached at tgilli52@gmail.com or nc3022@yahoo.com. Also, my Twitter handle is EDITORatWORK.

Entries from The Dog Blog
Blog entries from The Auto Racing Journal
(a book of great stories about the Intimidator)
(the book of great NASCAR stories)

More blog entries by Tom Gillispie

Anecdotes by Tom Gillispie

No comments:

Post a Comment