Monday, September 14, 2009

Watching words

Word games: I just found the word umwelts, which looks German. It is. Turns out it means environment or surroundings. I can't imagine using it -- I'd come off as a smart*** — but each to his own. ... I also found crapulous, which sounds like a cross between fabulous and something you don't want to get involved with. It means (1) given to or characterized by gross excess in drinking or eating, or (2) suffering from or due to such excess.

Bad biz: Business must be bad in the business of business, since the magazine Business Week is struggling. Check the NY Times story. But it's not just Business Week; all print media outlets are battling.


Contact: I can be reached at tgilli52@gmail.com or nc3022@yahoo.com. Also, my Twitter handle is EDITORatWORK.

Entries from The Dog Blog
Blog entries from The Auto Racing Journal
(a book of great stories about the Intimidator)
(the book of great NASCAR stories)

More blog entries by Tom Gillispie

Anecdotes by Tom Gillispie

No comments:

Post a Comment