Sunday, September 6, 2009

Writing with style

Keep it simple: During a job interview years ago, a sports editor told me that I had the simplest writing style he'd seen. He didn't see tangled webs in my sentences, and I took that as a compliment.

Recently, one of the readers of this blog commented: "I like your no-nonsense writing style, and appreciate your generosity on this blog."

I can't compare myself to Ernest Hemingway, but I've always used his approach: "My aim is to put down on paper what I see and what I feel in the best and simplest way," he said.

That said, my advice is to use your natural style; don't try to imitate an established writer. If you write like Hemingway, more power to you; just don't leave any guns lying around.

Freelance network: You might try the Freelance Writers And Editors network on Yahoo. It's a three-year-old network with an active membership.

Book him, Dano:
I haven't read The Craft & Business Of Writing yet, but you might check it out.


The letter: Here's an example of a great query letter to an agent.


Contact: I can be reached at tgilli52@gmail.com or nc3022@yahoo.com. Also, my Twitter handle is EDITORatWORK.

Entries from The Dog Blog
Blog entries from The Auto Racing Journal
(a book of great stories about the Intimidator)
(the book of great NASCAR stories)

More blog entries by Tom Gillispie

Anecdotes by Tom Gillispie

No comments:

Post a Comment