Monday, December 14, 2009

One more comment...

Here's a comment on this blog that talks about book endings:

Lea Schizas - Author/Editor said...

Talking about book endings reminded me of a self-published book I reviewed a couple of years ago. This book had the potential to make it big, but I'm sure readers felt the same way I did when I came to the end and read: To be concluded. I thought, "Hold on, this is a book, not a movie!" My next action was to check in the beginning for the author's published books or upcoming books. Nadda.

I understand this may happen in a series, but I also understand that a book should stand on its own with most of the foreshadows finalized before THE END rolls around. Nothing was finalized. Everything remained up in the air. What a shame. That book kept my interest, but my Spidergal instincts tingled about three quarters into the book when no foreshadow or sub-plot came close to an end.

So a tip to newbies: make sure your book stands on its own.
December 13, 2009 10:24 PM


I've read big-time books that stood on their own but were parts of series. I believe I'm thinking of "Tarzan of the Apes," Edgar Rice Burroughs' first Tarzan book. It had an indeterminate ending, but it didn't say that it was part of a series. In a way, it was frustrating; in another, it was a wonderful lead-in to later books.


On the editing, "Tarzan..." was terrific in a lot of ways, but there was a page near the end that needed big-time help. There were major flaws that should have been edited in subsequent editions. It bothers me every time I read it.



Contact: Reach me at tgilli52@gmail.com or nc3022@yahoo.com.

(a book of great stories about the Intimidator)
(the book of great NASCAR stories)

More blog entries by Tom Gillispie

Anecdotes by Tom Gillispie


1 comment:

  1. Sheesh, that's just as frustrating as reading a book and finding the last page missing.

    ReplyDelete